Maintenance Specialist - Easements
Company: Government jobs
Posted on: January 25, 2023
This position is being re-advertised. Candidates who have
previously submitted an application and were referred to the hiring
manager are still being considered and do not need to reapply.
The Maintenance Specialist is devoted to providing repair, waste
removal, maintenance and equipment operation for an assigned city
maintenance or operational function. Incumbents provide skilled
general maintenance or solid waste services based on assignment to
any City department or maintenance function.
Work may include providing repairs to buildings and/or grounds;
performing maintenance and minor repairs on equipment and parts;
operating assigned heavy equipment; providing crew oversight;
maintaining records; maintaining cleanliness of work area, tools
and equipment; and following safety policies and procedures. As
assigned, incumbents may serve as lead workers, assigning work and
monitoring work completion.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides skilled general maintenance or solid waste services in
support of City department(s) or maintenance function; selects
proper maintenance tools and equipment for assignment; monitors
work site safety; performs work following established safety
policies and procedures and applicable codes and regulations.
- May serve as lead worker by assigning work and monitoring work
- Performs inspections; monitors maintenance needs and performs
preventative maintenance; identifies and evaluates repair and
maintenance requirements; provides maintenance support which may
include grounds keeping; spraying herbicides and controlling weeds;
maintaining and repairing irrigation systems and parts; harvesting
hay; stormwater-related infrastructure maintenance; water
distribution system repairs; operating CCTV inspection system of
sanitary sewer system.
- Operates and/or transports equipment; may operate assigned
heavy equipment for various functions which may include hauling and
distribution of solids and management of farmland;
grading/excavating; concrete maintenance;; asphalt repair;
collection and removal of debris, refuse and/or snow; cutting and
clearing to enable sewer maintenance; and/or collection, transport
and disposal of solid waste; plans routes and sets up work areas
for safety and operational efficiency; may set up traffic control
- Processes and assigns work orders and service requests;
prepares and maintains activity records, correspondence and
standard performance reporting.
- Monitors and tracks inventory supply levels; initiates orders
to replenish inventory; restocks supplies.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as
assignedPositions assigned to Solid Waste Services may be
- Providing oversight to assigned solid waste service routes and
- Assisting with training of new hires;
- Reviewing routes during a shift to balance the workload and
mitigate vehicle breakdowns or accidents;
- Resolving customer complaints;
- Processing work orders and service requests;
- Delegating failed collections;
- Responding to vehicle accidents and personal injuries and
assisting with the reporting and investigative process.
High School Diploma or GED and four years of assignment-related
equipment operation/driving experience or formal trades
An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to
successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those
listed above, unless otherwise subject to any other requirements
set forth in law or regulation.
- Valid North Carolina Class C Driver's License with a
satisfactory driving record.Depending on assignment, some positions
- Valid North Carolina Class A Commercial Driver's License with a
satisfactory driving record.
- Valid North Carolina Class B Commercial Driver's License with a
satisfactory driving record. Additional Information
- Practices and methods of coaching and leading the work of
others (based on assignment).
- Techniques and methods for organizing, prioritizing, assigning
and monitoring work (based on assignment).
- Standard practices, methods and materials of assigned
- Standard system functions and methods of assigned work.
- Business math concepts.
- Basic project management principles.
- Filing and record-keeping principles.
- Occupational hazards and applicable safety principles and
- Uses and properties of supplies and equipment.
- Applicable federal, state and local laws, codes, regulations
(based on assignment).
- Customer service principles.
- Specialized equipment relevant to area of assignment.
- Modern office technology.Skill In:
- Training and coaching staff (based on assignment).
- Coordinating deadlines, prioritizing work demands and
assigning/monitoring work performed (based on assignment).
- Performing equipment inspections and monitoring safety
- Providing directions to others in order to meet standards.
- Providing attention to detail in assignments.
- Business math computations.
- Organizing and maintaining records and files.
- Maintaining and updating data and documentation.
- Comprehending reference books and manuals.
- Operating assigned tools and equipment.
- Interpreting and applying applicable laws, codes, regulations
and standards (based on assignment).
- Providing customer service.
- Utilizing a computer and relevant software applications.
- Utilizing communication and interpersonal skills as applied to
interaction with coworkers, supervisors, the general public and
others to sufficiently exchange or convey information and to
receive work direction.ADA and Other Requirements
Positions in this class typically require: stooping, kneeling,
crouching, reaching, standing, walking, lifting, fingering,
grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive
Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50
pounds of force frequently and/or up to 20 pounds of force
constantly to move objects.
Work is performed in both the field and in an indoor office
environment with moderate exposure to atmospheric conditions (such
as fumes, odors, dusts, gases, poor ventilation, etc.); moderate
exposure to environmental conditions (such as disruptive people,
imminent danger, or a threatening environment); and frequent
exposure to intense noise.
This job classification description is intended to be generic in
nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and
responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and
responsibilities and Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) designation
may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
When you join the City of Raleigh's work family as a full-time
employee, your benefits are an important part of your "total
rewards". Your benefits impact many aspects of your life including
your health, your finances, and the protection of your family. The
City provides a comprehensive benefits package as part of our total
rewards program to support you through important events in your
life, to enhance your life outside work, and to help you plan and
prepare for the future.
To find out about the City's benefits package, and other programs,
please visit our Employee Benefits page:
The City employs temporary and seasonal employees who generally are
scheduled to work on a short-term basis. However, if you are hired
as a temporary or seasonal employee, or as an intern, you are not
eligible for the City of Raleigh's benefits.
01 Please select your highest level of education completed.
- Some high school
- High school diploma (or GED)
- Some college
- Associate's degree
- Bachelor's degree
- Master's degree
- PhD or other professional degree
02 How much relevant work experience do you have in this field?
- Less than 1 year
- 1 to less than 2 years
- 2 to less than 3 years
- 3 to less than 4 years
- 4 to less than 5 years
- 5 to less than 6 years
- 6 to less than 7 years
- 7 to less than 8 years
- 8 to less than 9 years
- 9 to less than 10 years
- 10 years or more
03 Do you have a valid North Carolina driver's license (or the
ability to obtain within 30 days of hire)?
04 Do you have an NC Class A Class A Commercial Driver's License
(CDL) or the ability to obtain one within 45 days?
* Required Question
Keywords: Government jobs, Raleigh , Maintenance Specialist - Easements, Professions , Raleigh, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!