Research Scientist, Autonomous Distribution Grid
Company: ABB Group
Posted on: January 16, 2022
Research Scientist, Autonomous Distribution GridTake your next
career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the
transformation of society and industry to achieve a more
productive, sustainable future.At ABB, we have the clear goal of
driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender,
LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are
embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually
and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.As
Research Scientist, you will contribute to our electric system and
solution research in the area of autonomous distribution grids.
You'll focus on engineering development, control, protection,
automation, and management products/solutions for the
Electrification businesses.Reporting to the R&D Director, you
will work as part of the US leg of ABB Electrification Research,
which shares worldwide research and development responsibility for
several important technology areas, including software & control,
connected systems, etc.Your responsibilities
- Learn and evaluate the use cases, functionality, and
performance matrix of autonomous distribution grids including
distribution automation engineering, control, protection,
automation, and management functions for electric utility system
- Prototype algorithms for the above functions, and validate
these algorithms in appropriate hardware and software
- Participate in internal/external collaboration to demonstrate
ABB's technology leadership in the modern power distribution system
- Support the pilot application of the developed technologies on
utility, commercial or industrial premises
- Travel to and collaborate with internal/external partners
- Generate intellectual properties for ABB
- Publish results in peer reviewed journals and attend top
conferences sponsored by IEEE Power Engineering Society and other
related professional societiesYour background
- MS in Electrical Engineering with Minimum 2 years of industry
- PhD in Electrical Engineering is preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of autonomous distribution grid
- Distribution protection, control, and automation, microgrid
operation and control, and distribution grid resilience
- Artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML)
technologies and implementation experience.
- Digital signal processing and data fusion techniques.
- SCADA communication protocols (Modbus, DNP3, IEC61850).
- Familiar with Software-as-a-Service (Saas) technologies.
- Familiar with Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) system
- Familiar with PLC and logic programming.
- Embedded system and/or edge programming experience a plus.
- Programming experiences in Python, C/C++, Microsoft Azure, and
other development platforms.
- Good knowledge of modern power distribution systems, including
DER and IBR integration requirements and challenges.
- Grid-connected microgrid design and operations.
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that would
permit them to work for ABB in the US.Benefits
- Retirement plan
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Medical insurance
- Wellbeing programMore about usABB's Electrification Global
Markets organization is responsible for the go-to-market strategy
and generating profitable growth for the Electrification Business
Area. Our 10,000 strong commercial team represents the portfolio of
all Electrification Business Area Divisions in over 100 countries.
Our unmatched domain expertise across key industry verticals and
channels combined with our truly global footprint makes us able to
deliver extraordinary business results, supporting our customers
with solutions which address their current needs, whilst
considering the future emerging trends such as Urbanization,
Digitalization and Shift to Electricity and Sustainable Energy.We
look forward to receiving your application. If you want to discover
more about ABB, take another look at our website www.abb.com.ABB in
the United States requires employees to be fully vaccinated against
COVID-19, or in specific and limited circumstances, be approved for
a sincerely held religious belief or a medical/disability
accommodation.Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action
at ABBABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative
Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion,
sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation,
gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave
status, or protected veterans status. For more information
regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the
an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer,
applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a
particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at
1-888-694-7762.Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a
disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable
or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a
result of your disability. You may request reasonable
accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at
1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to US-AskHR@abb.com. Resumes
and applications will not be accepted in this manner.
Keywords: ABB Group, Raleigh , Research Scientist, Autonomous Distribution Grid, Professions , Raleigh, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!