Company: Shaw University
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Do you love working in an academic environment? Do you love
teaching and mentoring students, helping to shape the future? If
so, we have the job for you! Shaw University is looking for
Part-Time (Adjunct) Faculty, Accounting. Reporting to the Dean,
School of Business and Professional Studies the Adjunct Faculty of
Accounting teaches traditional and/or non-traditional college-level
students, at on-campus and/or off-campus sites on weekdays and/or
weeknights and Saturdays. In addition to the utilization of a
variety of teaching strategies, part-time teaching faculty must
provide student assistance and advice in their subject area, and
may be required to participate in student orientation sessions.
Essential Job Functions:
- Demonstrates acceptance and support of the mission and goals of
- Effectively teach knowledge-relevant college-level Accounting
courses, with a commitment to providing excellence in
- Present course teachings in such a way that students are
encouraged to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills,
to increase motivation, to develop a positive self-image, and to
clarify their values.
- Actively engages in planning, developing, and improving
- On the first day of class, provides each student with a copy of
a course syllabus that conforms to University-approved
- Teaches the course in accordance with the course syllabus.
- Informs students of the course objectives and requirements,
explains the grading system and attendance policy, and provides a
bibliography of suggested readings.
- Participates in orientation sessions conducted each semester by
the Division Head or CAPE Director, as applicable.
- Ensures that undergraduate students are aware of tutorial and
support services of the Academic Support Center, which includes
advising, tutorials, and first-year programs, and all other
departmental workshops associated with student learning.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Education and/or Experience
- Master's degree in Accounting from an accredited institution of
higher learning or an MBA with 18 graduate hours in Accounting
- Must possess the minimum credential standards of the Southern
Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), which normally include
at least 18 graduate semester credit hours in the subject area or
suitable approved justifications.
- Demonstrated success teaching at the college level.
- Recent experience in a higher education setting preferred.
- Candidates with teaching experience and expertise in an
additional area also offered in the assigned department is highly
- Knowledge and experience in using instructional
Must have a philosophy that is consistent with the Mission,
Vision, and Core Values of the organization. Vision, commitment,
and experience in achieving goals and pursuing excellence are
critical. Strong oral and written presentation skills. Ability to
work well independently and as a member of a team. Excellence in
the organization, decision-making, problem-solving, and creating a
collaborative environment. Ability to manage multiple projects
simultaneously. Must be able to read, write, and speak fluently in
For faculty employment consideration, a candidate who meets job
opening qualifications must provide the following documents with
- A current, fully complete resume or curriculum vitae
- An unofficial transcript
- An application cover letter with statements of teaching
philosophy and research interests
- Three current letters of reference.
Following the Human Resources office's receipt of a candidate's
fully completed application package for a current job opening, then
an applicant can be considered for employment, with their
application information submitted to the recruiting
manager/selection committee for review.
Any potential hire is contingent upon the FINALIST candidate's
ordering OFFICIAL transcripts of the highest graduate-level
degree(s) awarded to be sent DIRECTLY FROM the awarding
institution(s) DIRECTLY TO the Shaw University Human Resources
Department at 118 E. South Street, Raleigh, NC 27601.
Hand-delivered sealed transcripts will not be considered as
official - they must be received directly from the awarding
Candidates are personally responsible for any potential travel
and/or relocation expenses incurred.
Keywords: Shaw University, Raleigh , PT Instructor-Accounting, Other , Raleigh, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!