Posted on: January 16, 2022
NRTC is Member Driven and Technology Focused - providing
solutions that help our 1,500 electric and telephone members bring
all the advantages of today's evolving technology to rural America.
NRTC's solutions are developed specifically to meet the needs of
rural utilities and their customers, and include integrated smart
grid solutions, metering networks, next-generation energy, demand
management, broadband, managed services, mobile and video. We are a
dynamic, growing cooperative with more than 750 employees operating
out of seven office locations.
CrowdFiber is located in Rome, Georgia, read more about Rome
CrowdFiber seeks a Ruby Developer to help with its growing customer
base that is helping close the digital divide in America. Some
examples of what you might do here:
- Develop an MVT tiler for displaying map datasets from a rails
- Work with API's from all different types of systems
- Deploy to all different types of infrastructure: Bare metal,
- Build custom api endpoints for customers
- Solve a complex address matching problem
- Write example code for customers following our API's
- Add test coverage for an edge case
- Other duties as assigned
Our technology stack and workflow:
- Our primary language of choice server side is Ruby, with a
little Python, node and elixir mixed in where needed. Our framework
of choice is Rails, with Sinatra and Rota used in a few of our
- For databases, we reach for Postgres almost exclusively, with
postgis, and pg_bouncer as standard components in our deployments.
For in memory stores, redis is our go to.
- We use docker, nginx, freenas, and vyos. Containerization has
been a key to allowing CrowdFiber to grow and respond to changes
- For styling, we use Bulma and Bootstrap. Our system uses liquid
for customizing frontend view to meet the customers branding and
in where it makes sense. Leaflet, D3 and highcharts to make things
contextual for our users, we are always exploring new frameworks
and libraries to improve our frontend experience.
- Github is our distributed code management tool of choice, so we
use the built in features for work management to reduce the number
of places required to disseminate information. Discussions and
issues are used by the entire team to coordinate. Slack for chat
and zoom for meetings. We use Codeship for continuous integration
and our own internal tool for deployment.
- Code review is integral to our processes, testing with Rspec,
rubocop for style management and short feedback cycles on
deployment to allow quick error resolution. Coding is a craft and
constructive feedback is expected within our team.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- We are looking for a developer with at least 3 years of
experience with ruby or a ruby-like language that is willing to
work on both front and backend systems. You will need to be able to
develop features within our technology stack from start to finish,
with support from other developers when specialization is needed in
an area. You will need to be able to work within a Linux
- We are looking for generalists, you do not have to be a wizard
at all things, if you are strong with databases but have to read up
on the latest webpacker methods, that's ok. You should be willing
to learn new skills and improve existing ones.
- How you developed your skills matters less than being able to
demonstrate them. You will be tested on the skills listed on your
CV that are relevant to our technology stack or business. You
should be a lifetime learner and enjoy learning new things. A high
school diploma, GED or equivalent is the only formal education
- Experience within the telecommunications, internet service
providers, or networking fields are a plus.
- You should be able to communicate your thoughts and intentions
in a clear and concise manner.
- Work is typically performed in an office setting at home or a
location of your choosing.
- Infrequent travel may be sought to work in-person together
Powered by JazzHR
Keywords: NRTC, Raleigh , Ruby Developer, IT / Software / Systems , Raleigh, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!