Director HR People Operations
Company: Kipp Inc
Posted on: September 18, 2023
- Department: Regional Support and LeadershipCompany
DescriptionKIPP NC is a network of eight college-preparatory public
charter schools providing an academically rigorous and joyous
school experience to more than 3,500 students in grades K-12 in
Charlotte, Durham, Gaston, and Halifax. KIPP NC supports several
thousand alumni on their journey to and through high school,
college, and career.KIPP NC is building on a rich tradition of
academic excellence and relentless fight for social justice present
from the founding of both KIPP ENC and KIPP Charlotte. KIPP ENC is
the second oldest KIPP region in the nation. In its 20 years of
operation, KIPP ENC has been a cornerstone for students and
families in rural Gaston and Halifax, operating two primary
schools, two middle schools, and one high school. Over the past
five years, it grew to serve even more students by opening up an
elementary and middle school in Durham, an urban center in the
center part of the state. KIPP Charlotte, which grew out of the
strong traditions and academics of KIPP ENC, has supported students
and families for the past 13 years, operating one primary school
and one middle school in the largest city in North Carolina.KIPP
North Carolina is building upon the successes and experiences of
KIPP ENC and KIPP Charlotte to provide inclusive school
environments and an educational program that will enable our
students to lead full lives and equip graduates to be future
leaders and agents of change in North Carolina and beyond. KIPP NC
is engaging in direct, anti-racist work, and contributes
meaningfully to the dismantling of structures of inequality within
our organization, schools, and classrooms. We're committed to
expanding our efforts to embed anti-racism in all of our activities
and engagements within our classrooms and schools, across our
organization, and throughout the State of North Carolina. All of
this will be in a tireless effort to create classrooms that are
homeplaces for our students, places where they feel safe, loved,
validated, seen, and heard, places where all their beautiful
identities will be affirmed and celebrated, and places where they
will learn the academic knowledge and skills needed for college,
career, and beyond.Job DescriptionThe OpportunityThe Director of
HR/ People Operations will lead and optimize our people operations,
ensuring efficiency, effectiveness, and compliance within the
organization. The ideal candidate will possess exceptional
leadership abilities, extensive experience in HR operations, and a
strong background in project management. As the Director of People
Operations, you will play a critical role in overseeing the
operational aspects of our Human Resources department, driving
process improvements, and ensuring accountability and delivery of
high-quality Employee Relations and People Operations services.
This is a very hands-on role for someone who enjoys getting in the
weeds of the day-to-day operations with your team and engaging in
high level strategy work with cross functional leaders. This is an
ideal opportunity for a dynamic and visionary leader with
significant people management experience to play a critical role in
building and shaping a premier K-12 charter management organization
committed to supporting students to graduate college and succeed in
school and life.This role reports directly to the Chief Talent
- Develop strong organizational relationships as a strategic and
trusted HR Advisor
- Oversee HR Operations: Manage all aspects of HR operations,
including but not limited to employee onboarding, offboarding,
benefits administration, HRIS management, compliance, policy
development, and employee records management and employee
- Streamline HR Processes: Identify opportunities to optimize HR
processes and procedures to improve efficiency, accuracy, and
employee experience. Implement best practices and automation where
applicable to streamline workflows and reduce manual effort.
- HRIS Management: Provide strategic guidance and oversight for
HRIS system ensuring optimal functionality, data integrity, and
system performance. Collaborate with cross functional teams to
implement enhancements, upgrades, and integrations to meet HR
- Compliance and Policy Development: Ensure HR policies,
procedures, and practices follow local, state and national labor
laws, regulations, and industry standards. Assist in the
development of standardized HR policies and guidelines, and
maintaining up-to-date knowledge of relevant legislation.
- HR Metrics and Reporting: Develop and maintain HR metrics and
analytics to assess the effectiveness of HR operations. Generate
regular reports and executive score cards on key HR metrics,
trends, and insights to support data-driven decision-making.
- Oversee execution of Employee Experience strategy.
- Act as an escalation point in the day-to-day on the People
- Manage, develop, and provide leadership, guidance, and
mentorship to team.
- Collaborate with executive leadership to define long-term goals
related especially to employee engagement and retention.
- Create and manage a dashboard of KPIs to assess performance
against People Operations department goals.
- Manage relationships with benefits vendors, review plans and
recommend changes to maintain cost effectiveness/competitiveness,
and provide guidance on benefits administration.Qualifications
- A deep commitment to the mission of KIPP NC and an unwavering
belief in the potential of all our students.
- An unwavering commitment to anti-racism, equity, and
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business Administration,
or a related field.
- Extensive experience (10+ years) in Human Resources operations,
with a focus on managing and optimizing Human Resources teams,
processes and systems.
- Proven expertise in project management methodologies and tools,
with a strong track record of successfully delivering complex
projects on time and within budget.
- In-depth technical knowledge and hands-on experience with HRIS
systems, with the ability to configure and optimize system
- Demonstration of in-depth knowledge and expertise of both
Microsoft Office tools and Google suite, especially excel/google
sheets is required.
- Strong understanding of Human Resources processes and
practices, including talent management, employee engagement,
compensation, benefits, and Human Resources compliance.
- Experience scaling operations and/or providing HR support to
- Excellent leadership and team management skills, with the
ability to motivate and inspire cross-functional teams.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, with the
ability to effectively collaborate with stakeholders at all levels
of the organization.
- Analytical mindset and strong problem-solving abilities, with a
focus on data-driven decision-making.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously,
prioritize tasks, and meet tight deadlines.
- Relevant certifications such as PMP (Project Management
Professional) and Human Resource certifications (e.g., PHR, SPHR)
are highly desirable.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and demonstrated success in building
a program, department or organization.
- An understanding of the specific, unique characteristics of
public charter schools, NC-specific knowledge a plus.
- K-12 Education and/or Non-Profit experience a plus but not
- Understanding and willingness to work in both rural and urban
communities, including ability to travel up to five hours within
North Carolina to visit schools across the state.
- Primarily remote but approximately 20% travel required as
- Must live in North Carolina (Charlotte Metro, Raleigh, Durham,
Chapel Hill, Rocky Mount/Eastern North Carolina areas
preferred).Additional InformationCompensation and BenefitsSalary is
based on years of experience, degree of education, and level of
expertise: $85,000-$100,000/annually.A competitive benefits package
- Healthcare (medical, vision, and dental) at 100% no premium
cost for the employee with a generous discount for dependents
- Enrollment in 403b with an employer match - all employees are
- KIPP NC technology equipment, including a laptop
- Generous time off:
- 20+ days of combined PTO and sick leave each fiscal year
- 15 paidholidays peryear
- Plus 10+ additional paid days off during Fall, Winter and
Spring Breaks (perks of working for a school system)Position
located anywhere in the state of North Carolina
(Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, Charlotte, Greensboro, Rocky Mount
areas preferred)Non-Discrimination Statement and Policy
KIPP North Carolina does not and shall not discriminate on the
race, color, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, age, sex,
gender identity, sexual orientation, marital or parental status,
disability, source of income, or status as a veteran in any of its
activities or operations.
Keywords: Kipp Inc, Raleigh , Director HR People Operations, Human Resources , Raleigh, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!