Paramedic I - Emergency Department - Duke Raleigh Hospital - Raleigh, NC
Company: Duke Health
Posted on: November 26, 2022
Duke Raleigh Hospital Duke Raleigh Hospital offers the latest in
care and technology in a patient-friendly setting. It has been an
important part of Duke Health since 1998 and has served Wake County
for more than 35 years, employing more than 2,000 teammembers. The
hospital provides 186 inpatient beds and a comprehensive array of
services, including the Duke Raleigh Cancer Center, Duke Raleigh
Orthopedic and Spine Center, cardiovascular services, neurosciences
including the Duke Raleigh Skull Base and Cerebrovascular Center,
advanced digestive care, disease management and prevention, wound
healing, outpatient imaging, intensive and progressive care, pain
clinic, same-day surgery, emergency department and community
outreach and education programs. U.S.News & World Report ranked
Duke Raleigh Hospital as high performing in orthopaedics and five
adult procedures/conditions: chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
(COPD), heart failure, kidney failure, lung cancer surgery, and
stroke. Duke Nursing Highlights: -
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year
as North Carolina's Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of
Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for
being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance (based on eligibility) -Paramedic I -
Duke Raleigh Hospital - Emergency Department - Raleigh, NC
-***Paramedics joining the Duke Health System after 10/1/22, are
eligible for a $5000 sign on bonus*** -Duke Raleigh Hospital is a
medium sized community based hospital located in Raleigh, NC. 36-40
bed unit (growing to a 50 bed unit by EOY 2023)- serving the adult
population (transfer pediatric trauma once stable). -The Paramedic
functions as an integral member of the interdisciplinary healthcare
team providing direct patient care. - The Paramedic performs a
variety of activities across various practices settings and patient
populations in accordance with the Paramedic scope of practice as
defined by the North Carolina Medical Board and with the approval
of the practice setting Medical Director. -Work Hours & Shifts:
Full time - 36 hours per week: - 3 - 12 hour -shifts -Shifts
available: - 7p-7a (only nights are available) -Duties and
- Responsible for providing direct patient care -in accordance
with the Paramedic scope of practice as defined by the North
Carolina Medical Board -under the medical oversight of the Medical
Director of the practice setting where the individual will
- Assists clinical staff in the evaluation, treatment and care of
patients. Obtains pertinent history and performs a physical
examination. Performs technical procedures as delegated.
- Monitors patients and maintains records using patient
monitoring system and electronic health records. Documents
patients' status, delivery of care and evaluation of the patients'
response to care according to specific procedures and established
- Documents and maintains an informative and accurate medical
record to initiate charges for each patient treated.
- Communicates in a professional manner essential information to
all appropriate members of the healthcare team to promote sharing
of information throughout the continuum of care.
- Operates extensive medical and mechanical equipment in the
hospital and transport environment. -Ensures all medical equipment
is functioning; restocks medical supplies as needed.
- Provides and maintains a safe and therapeutic environment for
the patients, visitors, and staff. Properly disposes of and handles
as applicable, sharps, soiled materials, and linens and disinfects
area in accordance with policy and policy as applicable. Properly
uses PPE when in contact with patients, soiled utility, hazardous
materials in accordance with policy.
- Act as preceptor and support the development of other staff and
- Participate in the identification of clinical or operational
performance improvement opportunities and in performance
improvement activities. Supports an environment of evidence-based
practice/research/quality improvement initiatives
- Maintain certifications and clinical skills. -
- Performs other related duties incidental to the work described
- Successful completion of an NCOEMS approved Paramedic Course or
a United States Department of Transportation (USDOT) centered
course or similar approved Paramedic Course.
- Associates Degree preferred. -Experience:Preferred one-year
experience as Paramedic or other relevant clinical experience is
required. -Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification:
- Current North Carolina Paramedic credential.
- BLS, ACLS, and PALS required upon hire.
- Current trauma course preferred: PHTLS, BTLS or ITLS
-Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and appropriate application Paramedic scope of
- Knowledge of professional theory, practice and procedure
- Ability to assess needs of acute and chronically ill patients
and their families
- Ability to independently seek out resources and work
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
- Ability to communicate clearly with patients, families,
visitors, healthcare team, physicians, administrators, leadership
- Ability to use sensory and cognitive functions to process and
prioritize information, treatment, and follow-up
- Ability to use fine motor skills
- Competent in BLS and/or other specialized life support
requirements designated by work area
- Ability to record activities, document assessments, plan of
care, interventions, evaluation and re-evaluation of patient
- Ability to use computer and learn new software programs
- Able to document and communicate pertinent information using
computer and/or paper documentation tools
- Ability to withstand prolonged standing and walking
- Ability to remain focused and organized
- Working knowledge of procedures and techniques involved in
administering routine and special treatments to patients
- Working knowledge of infection control procedures and safety
- Pre-employment Physical Capacity Testing Required
- Participate in own professional development by maintaining
required competencies, identifying learning needs and seeking
appropriate assistance or educational offerings. -Physical
- Work requires walking, standing, sitting, lifting, reaching,
stooping, bending, knelling, crouching/squatting, balancing, and
pulling. Ability to withstand prolonged standing and walking.
- Must be able to lift and support the weight up to 75 pounds in
handling patients, medical equipment, and supplies.
- Intact sense of sight, hearing, smell, and touch.
- Finger dexterity.
- Bimanual Dexterity: Requiring the use of both hands. - - Duke
is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to
providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's
age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity,
genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, or veteran status. - Duke aspires to create a
community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and
belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of
ideas-an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our
perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve
this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community
feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals
are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our
community have a responsibility to uphold these values. - Essential
Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke
University Health System may include essentialjob functions that
require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional
information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation
will be provided by each hiring department. -
Keywords: Duke Health, Raleigh , Paramedic I - Emergency Department - Duke Raleigh Hospital - Raleigh, NC, Healthcare , Youngsville, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!