Sr. Director, External Communications
Posted on: January 16, 2022
Reporting to the VP, Head of Communications, the Senior
Director, External Communications is responsible for developing and
overseeing external communications strategies to support Labcorp's
mission, strategic priorities, values, culture and brand.
Responsible for the development and oversight of the overarching
strategy and tone for all external communications across all
aspects of the business and geographies.
Lead a team with a heavy focus on media relations, reputation
management, crisis communications, financial communications as well
as promotion of the brand, products and services globally. The
Senior Director is responsible for sharing the company's story
externally and will provide senior counsel to executive committee
members and segment executives as needed and will work closely with
leaders across the company.
The Senior Director will work collaboratively with leaders in
Corporate Strategy, Investor Relations, Finance, Government Affairs
and Marketing to support external communications activity for
M&A, earnings, corporate responsibility reporting and public
- Act as a practical visionary who will work closely with leaders
across the organization to provide perspectives and solutions in
setting a proactive external communications strategy, including
innovative storytelling and engagement ideas to help protect and
expand the company's reputation.
- Act as a lead spokesperson, particularly on highly sensitive
issues where the company's reputation can be at significant
- Establish and maintain deep relationships with key media and
leading conference organizers globally across print, broadcast and
social media channels, including reporters, editors and
- Build extensive relationships with conference organizers and
think tanks to promote Labcorp's expertise in diagnostics and drug
- Serve as counsel to the leadership team on a multitude of
matters associated with broad communications and messaging. Provide
counsel on specific issues and developing and implementing plans on
an ongoing basis.
- Partner with Investor Relations to lead all financial
communications, including earnings and M&A activity.
- Collaborate on efforts to position Labcorp as an employer of
- Partner with the VP, Head of Communications and other ESG
leaders to craft the organization's corporate responsibility story
and lead the CR report process.
- Lead the external relations team and build a high-performance
environment that attracts, retains and develops the team.
- Measure effectiveness of external communications through a
variety of vehicles. Collaborate across the Communications team and
across the enterprise to develop relevant metrics and
- Provide media coaching and training.
- Manage external agency partners on both proactive and reactive
external communications efforts.
The ideal candidate should have extensive experience as an external
communications leader with a strong network of media, conference
and think tank relationships, ideally within a highly regulated
Candidates should have:
- Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, public
relations or related field preferred.
- A minimum of 18+ years of experience in external
- Previous health care/life sciences experience.
- Global media relations experience.
- Consumer experience a plus.
- Business financial communications experience, including M&A
- Be a commercial minded strategic thinker who is a quick
learner, with good intuition and a self-starter.
- Exceptional and persuasive written, oral and interpersonal
- Keen attention to detail.
- Emotionally intelligent and proven ability to influence and
gain trust of different senior leaders quickly.
- Proven strong ability to lead, influence and navigate and build
relationships across all levels of the organization, including
senior leaders and Communication team members.
- Ability to effectively lead, manage, motivate and develop a
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills,
including negotiation and conflict resolution.
- Strong business acumen and ability to show up as a business
leader & communications expert.
- Strong executive presence and confidence to challenge the
status quo with senior leaders.
- Ability to facilitate and distill multiple perspectives from
senior executives into communications that will resonate with broad
- Ability to stay ahead of trends in technology to ensure Labcorp
uses the best channels to reach team members in the most effective
and cost-efficient manner possible.
- Excellent planning skills, with a proven ability to manage,
prioritize and allocate resources.
- Ability to make decisions in a rapidly changing environment and
perform in high pressure situations with multiple stakeholders,
including senior executives under tight timeframes.
- Ability to translate complex business issues into readily
understandable, creative and strategic communications for a variety
- Ability to handle sensitive or proprietary company information
in a confidential manner.
- Analytical -- able to gather, analyze, package and make
thoughtful recommendations based on insights from data.
- Ability to identify, recommend and manage outside resources to
ensure success of projects.
- Ability to stand in for VP, Head of Communications as
- Strong background working in virtual team environment.
- Willing and able to travel as needed (approximately 25%).by
Keywords: Labcorp, Raleigh , Sr. Director, External Communications, Executive , Raleigh, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!