Assistant Director of Leadership Annual Giving
Company: NC State University
Posted on: February 22, 2021
Assistant Director of Leadership Annual Giving Working Title
Assistant Director of Leadership Annual Giving Anticipated Hiring
Range Commensurate with education and experience. Work Schedule
Monday - Friday / 8:00am - 5:00pm Occasional nights and weekends
Job Location Department University Development About the Department
North Carolina State University (NC State) was founded in 1887 with
the purpose of creating economic, societal and intellectual
prosperity for the people of North Carolina. Today it is the
largest university in North Carolina with more than 34,000
high-performing students, 8,000 pre-eminent faculty and staff, and
205,000 living alumni. NC State is known for its leadership in
research, education, and service and as a research extensive
university, is recognized for its strengths in science,
engineering, and technology. The University consistently ranks
among the top public national universities and one of the best
values in higher education. In 2016, NC State launched the Think &
Do the Extraordinary Campaign, the most ambitious fundraising
effort in the university's history with a $1.6 billion goal.
Priorities include increasing endowment to benefit students and
faculty, enhancing facilities, and strengthening current operations
support. Primary Function of Organizational Unit - University
The mission of University Development within the Division of
University Advancement at NC State is to raise philanthropic
support for university goals and priorities that benefit our
students, faculty, this campus, and ultimately, the state of North
Carolina. The department includes the offices of Annual Giving,
Central Major Gifts, Corporate and Foundation Relations, and Gift
- The Assistant Director of Leadership Annual Giving is
responsible for identifying, qualification, cultivation,
solicitation, and stewardship of donors with the capacity to give
at the level of $1,000 - $50,000. They will be a highly motivated
professional who will be deeply involved in the fundraising efforts
in support of current operations and endowment from individual
donors with an emphasis on new donor acquisition, upgrades, growing
membership of the Chancellor's Circle and developing a pipeline for
major gifts. Solicitations will be multi-channel, including, but
not limited to, phone calls, mail, emails, and personal
- Reporting to the Executive Director of Annual Giving, this
position will serve as a part of the University Development's
Annual Giving team and will work to support all areas of the
University in conjunction with the Think & Do the Extraordinary
Campaign. Additionally, the Assistant Director will be assigned to
work with one of the following Colleges: The College of Agriculture
and Life Sciences, The College of Engineering, The College of
Sciences or The Wilson College of Textiles. The Assistant Director
will regularly meet with the Development staff of the assigned
College to develop effective strategies for the College's
Leadership Annual Giving prospects.
- The Assistant Director will be expected to initiate, develop
and cultivate relationships with individuals with the capacity to
make gifts of $1,000-$50,0000 to fund programs and priorities
defined by their assigned College. Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, design, implement, and evaluate strategies to obtain
outright annual gifts and pledges.
Identification, qualification, cultivation, and solicitation of mid
level giving prospects to create and grow a pipeline of Chancellor
Circle members and major gift ($50,000 and above) donors for the
- Conduct at least 125 personal contacts monthly with a focus on
the phone to prospects and donors annually to average 20
solicitations per month of at least $1,000 with a goal to close 80%
- Strategic development and management of a portfolio with
approximately 250 prospects and donors capable of making gifts of
$1,000 - $50,000.
- Partner with the Advancement Research team as well as the
Annual Giving team to identify prospective donors and strategically
assess their philanthropic capacity and inclination.
- Be an active and collaborative team member in Alumni Engagement
and Annual Giving and University Advancement.
- Make donor referrals to University Development and campus-wide
gift officers, as appropriate.
- Provide timely post-visit follow-up, including tracking moves
and solicitations, and sending personalized follow-ups to
- Collaboration with colleagues to help align donors'
philanthropic interests with various priorities across campus.
- Coordination of stewardship efforts as needed with appropriate
University Advancement and other campus colleagues.
- Attend university-wide events and University Advancement
- Serve as an active member of the Advancement team for the
assigned College. Other Responsibilities
- Additional duties as assigned. Minimum Experience and Education
- Post-baccalaureate credentials or Bachelor's degree from an
accredited college or university and at least two or more years of
professional-level experience in direct solicitation/fundraising or
a closely related field (such as sales) are required. Other
Required Qualifications Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Ability to work effectively as part of a dynamic team in a
large and complex research university.
- Experience in cold calling, negotiating, and closing business
- Ability to work independently, while maintaining consistent and
transparent communication with a team and leadership.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills, with great
attention to detail
- Self-motivated and self-starting, along with great listening
- Optimism, perseverance and a positive attitude
- Ability to travel around the region.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required. Preferred
Qualifications Preferred Experience, Credentials, Qualifications:
- Two or more years of successful experience in fundraising,
annual giving or closely related field.
- Knowledge of principles, practices, and ethics of
- Understanding of the development process and donor cycle.
- Prior experience in a comprehensive capital campaign
- Experience in higher education fundraising preferred.
- An understanding of the land grant, research Tier One
- Familiarity with NC State University and the Triangle. Required
License(s) or Certification(s)
- A valid North Carolina Driver's License is required within 60
days of start date. Must be maintained as a condition of
employment. Valid NC Driver's License required Yes Commercial
Driver's License required No Job Open Date 02/08/2021 Anticipated
Close Date Special Instructions to Applicants Position Number
00108290 Position Type Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40
hours/week) 1.0 Appointment 12 Month Recurring Mandatory
Designation - Adverse Weather Non Mandatory - Adverse Weather
Mandatory Designation - Emergency Events Non Mandatory - Emergency
Event Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus
monies? No Department ID 082001 - University Development AA/EOE NC
State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action
employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, national origin,
religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic
information, status as an individual with a disability, or status
as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you
may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or
email@example.com. Individuals with disabilities requiring
disability-related accommodations in the application and interview
process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background
checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks.
If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final
candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified
at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained
prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires
all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of
all persons hired to work in the United States. Supplemental
Questions Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other
website", please provide the source. (Open Ended Question)
- * Please highlight your recent fundraising or sales experience.
Specifically, include details such as amounts raised and strategies
applied. (Please limit response to 250 words or less) (Open Ended
- * What do you think will be the most common objections that you
will hear when calling to ask for a gift to NC State? How might you
handle these objections? (250 words or less) (Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References Optional Documents NC STATE
RALEIGH, NC 27695
PHONE: (919) 515-2011
Keywords: NC State University, Raleigh , Assistant Director of Leadership Annual Giving, Executive , Raleigh, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!