Big Data Engineer
Posted on: November 10, 2018
Specific information related to the position is outlined below. To apply, click on the button above. You will be required to create an account (or sign in with an existing account). Your account will provide you access to your application information.
Should you have a disability and need assistance with the application process, please request a reasonable accommodation by emailing BB&T Accessibility or by calling 866-362-6451. This email inbox is monitored for reasonable accommodation requests only. Any other correspondence will not receive a response.
Regular or Temporary:
Language Fluency: English (Required)
1st shift (United States of America)
Please review the following job description:
Primary job responsibilities involve supporting ingestion and transformation pipelines that handles data for analytical or operational uses across broad line of business needs areas and enterprise data domains. The data engineer often works as a dedicated member of support teams, focused on providing production stability data processing workflows that will be used by analytics groups and data scientists who are interrogating information for predictive analytics, machine learning and data mining purposes. In many cases, the support engineer also works with business units and departments in proactively identifying data quality issues, and coordinating with the development groups to ensure data accuracy to business analysts, leadership groups, and other end users to aid in ongoing operational insights.
An independent & self-motivated lead support engineer must be versed in broad approaches to data architecture and applications, and will develop components/applications by studying operations and designing, and developing, reusable services and solutions that support the automated ingesting, profiling, and handling of structured and unstructured data.
Essential Duties and Required Skills:
Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major or and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
- 5-10 years software development/ programming or support experience in enterprise/ web/ cloud applications.
- 3-5 years of experience in data modeling, data design and persistence (e.g. warehousing, data marts, data lakes).
- Exposure to functional, imperative and object-oriented languages and methodologies.
- Experience with supporting BIG DATA and Hadoop.
- Experience with Big Data approaches and technologies including: Hadoop, Cloudera utilities, Spark, Kafka, Hive, Oozie (experience with Angular JS/HTML5/Node JS are big plus).
- Experience with SQL (MySQL, Postgres) and NoSQL(MongoDB/HBase/ReDis) database is expected.
- Proficiency with Linux operating systems especially troubleshooting and log-handling of applications deployed in Linux
- Experience supporting large-scale web services (RESTful APIs)
- Has led, or been directly involved with, the investigation and resolution of incidents and complex data issues in a production setup.
- Experience working in an agile environment.
- Explores, examines and interprets large volumes of data in various forms and recommends additional sources of data for improvements. INDBBTIT
- Experience in data management best practices, real-time and batch data integration, and data rationalization.
- Ability to prioritize well, communicate clearly, have a consistent track record of commitment and accountability for Level0, Level1 and Level2 support, as well as excellent troubleshooting skills.
- Understand the relationships across business information and units of data; collaborate with business and other departments to identify data usage patterns and to formulate business names, definitions and data quality rules for data elements.
- Understand database performance factors and trends pertaining to very large database design and collaborate with DBAs for resolving performance bottlenecks;
- Pursue continuous improvements based on lessons learned and industry best practices.
- Understand the goals and risks associated with the business and technical requirements, and offer counsel on risk mitigation and the alignment of data solution with objectives.
- Coach and mentor support team members.
- Demonstrate a team orientation by working closely and effectively with business partners, development teams and outside services.
- Ability to apply systems thinking for solutions by considering broad potential alternatives and impact areas.
- Ability to travel as needed, occasionally overnight. Desired Skills:
Knowledge of, and experience working in, DevOps environments is desirable. Previous experience in the financial services industry is a plus. Experience with performance tuning and documenting changes. Exposure to container technologies (Docker or similar) and orchestration is a plus. Experience with metadata capture, management, Informatica Big Data Management and platforms.
Keywords: BB&T, Raleigh , Big Data Engineer, Engineering , Raleigh, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!