Biomanufacturing Engineer (Mammalian Cell Culture) - Emerging Biotech/Top $$ (Will Relo/NC)
Company: Frankel Staffing Partners
Posted on: January 16, 2022
Our client is an NC-based biotech that has gained worldwide
attention for the work it is doing to bring cell-cultured human
milk to market. This is revolutionary technology for which there is
infinite demand. It is funded by top venture capital firms
including Bill Gates's Breakthrough Ventures.
It is an exciting time to join a company doing exciting work. This
role will focus on equipment selection and/or design. We seek a
very sharp, skilled and industrious Engineer who will bring the
knowledge and savvy needed to ensure the right equipment is in
place to scale up and optimize production.
It is an essential role and company will pay generous wage,
including relo, to retain an excellent candidate.
Key Things to Note:
- The company's technology produces nutritionally equivalent
breastmilk from cultured human mammary cells. This milk, intended
to be as nutritional as breastmilk, will offer the convenience of
- To date the technology has been able to produce small
quantities of milk. This Engineer will work in partnership with
other engineers and operators to specify and source equipment
needed for expansion and scale up (incubators, bioreactors,
perfusion cell expansion systems, filtration systems, aseptic
packagers, etc.). Experience with mammalian cell culture (or
similar) is required.
- This Engineer may also design new equipment when commercially
available equipment does not meet the need. Ability to write
technical disclosures, build prototypes and run proof of concept
experiments will be important.
- This is a start-up setting. Employees are hands-on,
mission-driven, resourceful, flexible and can-do. We seek
go-getters who bring a similar, get-it-done-right work style.
- This is a hybrid role - with time split between on-site and
- Prepare cell culture media and aseptically maintaining
mammalian cells in a 3D system on a daily basis in laboratory and
- Conduct experimental research or project design involving at
least one or more of the following: 2D & 3D cell culture,
biological and biochemical assays, statistical analysis for process
control, coding for life sciences, biomanufacturing scale-up,
- In collaboration with operators and other colleagues, specify
process equipment (incubators, bioreactors, perfusion cell
expansion systems, filtration systems, aseptic packagers, support
equipment) and shop those specifications with vendors.
- Write decision analyses to rank equipment options.
- Support the writing of appropriations requests with capacity
calculations to help leadership make informed capital allocation
- Where commercial equipment is not available or too costly,
design new equipment for mammalian cell culture in a hollow fiber
- This includes cartridges, flowpaths, environmental control
(C02, temp) and measurement systems.
- Write technical disclosures, build prototypes and run proof of
concept experiments to support patenting of new inventions.
- Order, install and commission new process equipment.
- With the help of a project manager, organize work crews and be
the onsite technical representative for solving installation
- Perform critical analyses and interpret data for actionable
decision-making that impacts the greater company
- Attend industry conferences to stay up to date on available
Targeted candidates will offer a related Engineering degree and 2+
years of experience developing or improving manufacturing processes
using 2D & 3D cell culture, statistical process control and
Other priorities include:
- Experience scaling a bioprocess from bench-top to full
- Demonstrated experience sourcing, commissioning and qualifying
capital equipment for bioprocessing in a cGMP environment
- Hands-on experience in one or more of the following areas:
mammalian cell culture, hollow fiber bioreactor operation, hollow
fiber bioreactor process development, and bioreactor data
- Experience/familiarity with cGMP process equipment and
operations such as cell culture, bioreactors, filtration,
chromatography, autoclaves, incubators, etc.
- Ability to troubleshoot process equipment issues and implement
- Ability to analyze and synthesize conclusions from large
datasets via statistics software
- Familiarity with the production of monoclonal antibodies, the
related bioreactors, and upstream processing equipment
Finally, we seek an Engineer who will thrive in this start-up
setting; someone who can work through ambiguity to get to smart
solutions; someone who can switch readily and stay focused on a
goal; someone who can contribute broadly and support others;
someone who is eager to bring this dream to life.
This is an immediate need. Please forward Word resume for prompt
Keywords: Frankel Staffing Partners, Raleigh , Biomanufacturing Engineer (Mammalian Cell Culture) - Emerging Biotech/Top $$ (Will Relo/NC), Engineering , Raleigh, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!