Senior Civil Structural Engineer
Posted on: January 15, 2021
Position Description: Responsible for the coordination and
execution of civil & structural engineering in both Air Insulated
Switchgear (AIS) and Gas Insulated Switchgear (GIS) substation
projects in the 34.5kV --- 800kV range, Railway Electrification and
Renewable (Wind/Solar) Substation with an emphasis on project
safety, cost, quality and reliability. EPC job value between 25-200
MUSD and business across North America. Must be familiar with the
nuances associated with civil & structural engineering and design
of AIS substations,(as a minimum), but preferably also GIS
substations, Railway electrification and Renewable substation. The
Senior Civil & Structural Engineer reports to the Engineering
Primary Responsibilities: The main purpose of this position is to
provide civil & structural engineering services during the
proposal, design and construction stages of AIS and GIS
substations, Railway electrification and Renewable projects with
strict adherence to the project contract. Major
- Support proposal efforts by introducing and promoting
innovation, cost saving ideas, and value-added solutions to the
overall system design concept.
- Involvement in marketing activities like tender processing,
preparing costing sheet, sending RFQ---s to Contractors, review of
quotations, and replying to queries from various officials and
- On-site assessment and evaluation of existing equipment, steel
structures, foundations, etc., in so called ---brown field---
- Provide expertise and support to the proposal and project teams
in validating construction sub-contractor bids, and in negotiating
sub-contracts for electrical substations and switchyard
- Prepare, update and support the execution of civil & structural
engineering and site activities in the schedule with emphasis on;
On-time delivery, Quality of deliverables and Project costs.
- Work with the project lead engineer to develop the Design
Criteria and the Document Deliverables list for the project.
- Provide engineering and design support and review of 3rd party
design in specific civil & structural engineering areas, including
(but not limited to):
- Substation / switchyard, both AIS and GIS, general arrangement
- Estimate civil & structural quantities with emphasis on project
- Grading and drainage design
- Foundation calculations and design
- Anchor bolt plan and details
- Steel structure calculations and design
- Building calculations and design
- Equipment specifications
- Equipment documentation reviews
- Seismic qualification
- Material and Construction specifications
- Signing and sealing of design packages
- Resolve civil and structural design issues as identified by
individuals in the project execution team.
- Notify the project lead engineer of any difficulties
encountered in the engineering and design that may adversely impact
safety, reliability, quality, cost, or schedule of the project
deliverables, and provide recommendations for solutions.
- Perform technical, cost savings, and constructability reviews
of civil & structural design packages from internal engineering,
outsourced sub-contractor engineering and equipment factories.
- Utilize knowledge of applicable standards and codes to ensure
that designs comply with the required national and local codes and
- Assist the department manager in meeting department goals.
- Adhere to Linxon Substations quality processes and document
control procedures to ensure design documents are complete and
- Civil & Structural Engineers shall be prepared to perform
Construction and Field Engineering support on their respective
projects while they are in the construction stage.
- Perform Change Management (including providing technical
information to support variations) Other desired competencies,
which add value to the Linxon Substation organization:
- Experience with outdoor and indoor GIS applications.
Specifically on indoor applications, a good understand--ing of the
necessary building infrastructure to support GIS is required (e.g.
foundation requirements, wall penetrations, embedded steel
supports, overhead cranes, maintenance access, etc.).
- Experience in HV power cable system applications, including
cable vault layouts, cable restraint design, and GIS sealing
end/air termination applications.
Education/Licenses/Certification Required: --
- Bachelor---s Degree in Civil Engineering and good years of
experience in foundation, reinforced concrete, and civil works. or
Master---s Degree in Civil Engineering and some good years of
experience in foundation, reinforced concrete, and civil
- Professional Engineering certification is required.
Experience/Special Skills Required: Experience specializing in
civil & structural design of high voltage substations and/or
transmission lines is preferred. Experience in civil & structural
design of industrial facilities or power plants is a plus.
- Knowledge and understanding of Geotechnical site surveys,
earthworks, site grading and drainages
- Knowledge of Structural Analysis and Design Software (STAAD)
and/or Structural Analysis Program (SAP2000) is necessary.
- Experience with CAD software such as Autocad and/or
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suites.
This position requires the ability to clearly communicate with
Linxon and Customer personnel in order to success--fully
collaborate, coordinate, and resolve project related activities and
issues. Problems involve recognizing situations and applying
appropriate concepts to solve problems that are usually short-term
in nature. Basic conversation skills and normal tact and courtesy
are required. Travel is required; up to 25% both domestic and
Keywords: Linxon, Raleigh , Senior Civil Structural Engineer, Engineering , Raleigh, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!