Loan Officer (National/Remote Possible)
Company: Civic Builders
Posted on: November 25, 2022
About the Position:Civic Builders is seeking an ambitious,
self-aware, execution-oriented emerging leader eager to deepen a
career in mission-driven community development lending. This is an
exciting opportunity to support the creation of excellent public
schools that transform students' lives in underserved communities
across the country. Civic Builders offers strong opportunities for
career growth and advancement on our busy, growing national
Within year one, the Loan Officer will work closely with internal
and external stakeholders to lead transactions independently
through the full underwriting and diligence process from initial
"green light" through preliminary and final approvals, closing, and
the transition to asset management. The Loan Officer should bring
entrepreneurial energy, a personal accountability mindset, and an
open-minded perspective to the work.
The Loan Officer will report to the Senior Director of Lending in
support of Civic's national charter school lending platforms, and
will have frequent opportunities to work alongside the SVP of
Corporate Development, the VP of Capital Solutions and the VP of
Accounting (collectively the "Lending Leadership Team"). The Loan
Officer may also support the Lending Leadership Team on strategic
projects, process improvement efforts, and/or other corporate
initiatives upon demonstrating mastery of core
Responsibilities:Lead the underwriting of commercial real estate
- Manage investments through due diligence, credit underwriting,
credit/investment committee approval, and closing processes.
- Able to personally build and maintain Excel-based underwriting
- Within the first year, independently handle key activities that
are immediately adjacent to the core underwriting work, including
such tasks as intercreditor negotiations and review of real estate
contracts and/or leases.Employ a creative, solutions-oriented
outlook on deal structuring and credit.
- Creatively employ non-traditional deal structuring options to
balance unmitigated credit challenges.
- Work collaboratively with the team to support mission-oriented
goals while adhering to existing lending policies.Clearly
communicate (both verbally and in writing) complex terms and
structures to audiences possessing different levels of technical
- Craft a clear and compelling written narrative that details a
potential investment's strengths, weaknesses, and mitigating
factors while highlighting programmatic alignment within the
detailed credit memo.
- Verbally present investment memos and recommendations to senior
stakeholders to secure investment authorization by phone or
Zoom.Consistently provide excellent client service and maintain
long-lasting, positive relationships.
- Build and maintain positive professional relationships with
prospective borrowers, stakeholders, partner organizations, and
third-party service providers that will outlast any individual
transaction engagement.Provide support and operational capacity to
senior team members in the execution of one to two key strategic
and operational priorities in areas such as:
- Loan origination efforts;
- Interest rate risk management;
- Financial and operational metrics reporting requirements;
- Fund-level cash flow modeling and sensitivity analysis;
- Contribute to ongoing efforts to establish and/or improve
internal processes; or
- Participate in all calls and processes related to securing
additional lending capital.
Required Qualifications and Attributes:The following qualifications
and attributes are required to succeed as Loan Officer:
- Bachelor's degree required. MBA, similar advanced degree or
professional certification a plus.
- 5+ years of relevant experience with credit underwriting,
financial analysis and related operational analysis and/or related
functions with relevant transferable experience.
- Transferable professional experience may include roles in the
following functional areas: asset management; new business
development/originations; technical assistance; and/or
accounting/finance/budget roles where the candidate was directly
responsible for building and maintaining a budget, generating
quarterly reports, and financial projections.
- The following employment sectors would provide strong
foundations for this work: community development lending/finance
organizations; charter schools and/or charter school service
providers; affordable housing or other real estate developers;
commercial or investment banks; private equity firms; and/or public
- Advanced quantitative expertise including advanced Excel
- Advanced project management skills, including experience
managing and prioritizing multiple projects and portfolios with
similar or competing deadlines.
- Excellent professional communications skills, both written and
verbal - easily communicate credit principles and build
- Ability to build strong and effective relationships with a
variety of stakeholders such as other lenders, prospective
borrowers, lawyers, real estate professionals, foundation staff,
etc. with diverse experiences and backgrounds.
- Personal, volunteer or professional connection to Civic
Additional Qualifications and Attributes:The following additional
qualifications and attributes are helpful for the role of Loan
Officer, and can be developed over time:
- Skill in navigating difficult conversations with
- Eagerness and ability to establish an area of personal
expertise and ownership within a high-growth, fast-paced
- Self-motivation with a strong affinity for problem solving,
always challenging the status quo and never settling for how
something "has always been done".
- Ability to apply logic, reason, and creativity to solve
problems with imperfect information.
- Action orientation with demonstrated ability to make difficult
decisions to drive results.
- Charter school or education industry experience.
About Civic Builders:Civic Builders, Inc. (Civic) transforms
children's lives and revitalizes communities by building
inspirational schools for students in underserved neighborhoods
across the country. Dedicated to giving every child the chance to
attend a great school, Civic Builders partners with the nation's
best educators to create public charter school buildings for
students in communities where the need is greatest.
Since 2002, Civic Builders has built inspiring, bright, and modern
buildings that give its partner schools cost-effective, customized
educational space. Civic Builders expanded its business to include
direct lending to non-profit charter schools and affiliates
nationwide beginning in 2017. Over its five-year history, Civic's
lending businesses have invested over $215M in high quality
facilities projects nationwide.
Location and Travel:
- Civic is located in New York, NY. Our work environment is
hybrid, and a remote arrangement is possible for non-local
employees (East Coast hours preferred, some flexibility possible).
Local employees are expected to work in the office a minimum of two
days per week for team collaboration.
- Travel to support originations and underwriting work (site
visits), contribute to new market development, and to represent
Civic Builders at national conferences as required. Travel time
commitment varies month to month and typically is less than 10%
annually (-2 days per month). Non-local employees will also travel
to NYC occasionally for team collaboration.
- Please note: Since we care so greatly about our employees
well-being, Civic Builders is committed to an environment where our
employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. As a prospective
new team member, you must be fully vaccinated with a CDC/FDA
approved COVID-19 shot(s) to work in our offices. If you are
selected to interview for this role, we will explain our
vaccination policy in further detail and ensure you are comfortable
moving forward with this company policy.
- Relocation assistance to New York is possible (up to $5K based
on expenses incurred).
Compensation and benefits:Salary Range: $110,000 - $125,000
We want you to be well and thrive. Our benefits package
- Healthcare insurance plans including medical, dental, and
vision, and FSA and HSA
- 401K retirement plan (Roth and traditional) including an
- Short-term & long-term disability insurances
- Group term life insurance
- Commuter benefits program
- 12 weeks paid parental/family leave
- Paid time off including holidays, vacation and sick days
- Learning and development resources and reimbursement
- Social and educational outings
- Cell phone plan reimbursement and equipment replacement
- Home office setup
Commitment to Diversity, Equity and InclusionCivic Builders
believes that diversity, in all its forms, enriches society and our
organization. Because we support students in the highest-need
neighborhoods, we have a particular charge to understand our
schools and their communities. When our staff, board, and partners
reflect, value and embrace the voices and perspectives of those
most impacted by what we do, we have a deeper understanding and
connection to their needs and more effectively achieve our
aspiration of improving lives, revitalizing communities, and
helping children receive the education they deserve.
We are an Equal Opportunity EmployerCivic Builders is an equal
opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse
backgrounds and perspectives. Civic Builders provides employees
with a safe and welcoming environment free of discrimination and
harassment.As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any
unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of
their race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender
expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental
status, disability, age, veteran status, or any other status
protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we
Keywords: Civic Builders, Raleigh , Loan Officer (National/Remote Possible), Accounting, Auditing , Raleigh, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!